How to Upload to ethoFS
This guide will show you 2 ways of using ethoFS based on whether you're using MetaMask or your private key
In order to upload data to ethoFS you need a browser with MetaMask. MetaMask allows your browser to user your Etho Protocol wallet in order to sign smart contracts and perform ETHO transactions. Your ethoFS upload is bound to your ETHO address so that you and only you can take down your data.
To use MetaMask with ethoFS you can install a browser extension from the appropriate app store for your particular browser. For this example, we will be using the chrome version. You can find the chrome application here:
Chrome App Store - MetaMask
After Installing the MetaMask browser extension, you will need to go through the following setup process:
- 1.When prompted, press continue.
- 2.Create a strong password to use with MetaMask. (You can also import an existing wallet with the seed phrase, to restore an existing account.)
- 3.After creating a password, you will be shown your account image, and then you will be prompted to accept the MetaMask Terms & Conditions along with a privacy notice and a statement on phishing.
- 4.Following acceptance of all the various terms, you will be prompted to backup your recovery seed. The page includes information on the best practices to follow when backing up the recovery seed.
- 5.You will then need to confirm the backup phrase:
- 6.You have now successfully installed MetaMask. You will now need to change it from Ethereum to Etho Protocol:
Metamask did recently update, and might require ChainID in hex: 0x14095a
Once the custom RPC value is put in above, you will see the ETHO balance of your imported account
MetaMask is configured security by default, requiring you to add all trusted sites manually into the application. To do this navigate to Settings > Connections > Add Site > Connect
Adding ethofs.com to allowed sites
After you add your trusted site, simply reload it, select the Etho Protocol account you want to use or import is as shown below.
This optional section of the guide details how you can import an existing wallet into MetaMask. These steps are applicable to both stock MetaMask and the Etho Protocol version.
- 1.From the MetaMask application, select the purple circle in the upper right hand corner. Then select 'import wallet', as shown in the screenshot below:
- 2.Now, depending on the format which your existing wallet is in, you have the choice to pick between a JSON file and a private key string:
- 3.You can paste the private key into the field, or upload the JSON file using the file explorer.
Imported accounts will not be associated with your originally created MetaMask account seed-phrase. Learn more about imported accounts here.
Only one version of MetaMask can be installed when using ethoFS, so be sure to disable / remove one version if you have both installed to avoid running into issues.
- 1.You will be prompted to make a username, this will register your MetaMask address with ethoFS.
- 2.After inputting a username, you will be prompted to make a verification transaction through MetaMask.
- 3.After approving the transaction, you will need to wait a short while for ethoFS to setup the user. After this, you will be able to press 'enter' to continue. You will then be logged into ethoFS!
Now you are able to upload data to ethoFS, please see the video tutorial below if you need assistance in using the ethoFS dashboard. Alternatively you can follow the steps in How to upload a website on ethoFS for a written guide of how the system works.
How to upload data to ethoFS Video Guide.